Merlin provides independents the means to own their future. Merlin is a member led, music focused organisation providing digital music licensing for independents across the globe. Members benefit from Merlin’s premium deals, but work directly with key digital partners. Our membership consists of independent labels, distributors, and other rights-holders, representing tens of thousands of labels and hundreds of thousands of artists from every country in the world. Merlin works collaboratively with our digital partners, delivers value back to those digital partners, and seeks to drive other incremental benefits to our members.
Merlin’s approach has enabled our membership to grow to represent 15% of the global market share. Merlin’s membership includes independents such as Altafonte, Amuse, Armada Music, AudioSalad, AVL Group (including CD Baby, DashGo and FUGA), Beggars Group, Cinq Music Group, Dim Mak, DistroKid, Domino, Epitaph Records, Foundation Media, Freeme Digital, IDOL, Kontor New Media, Mad Decent, MNRK Music Group, Monstercat, Mushroom Music, Ninja Tune, ONErpm, [PIAS], Pony Canyon, Redeye, Secret City, Secretly, Symphonic Distribution, Sub Pop, Vydia, and hundreds more.
Merlin has deals with nearly 40 digital services, including partners like Adaptr, Apple, AWA, Boomplay, Deezer, Facebook/Instagram, JioSaavn, JOOX, KKBox, NetEase, Pandora, Peloton, SberZvuk, Snap, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tencent, TikTok, TREBEL, Triller, Twitch, UMA, Yandex, YouTube Music, and many other global, regional and strategic partners, as well as being in conversations with dozens more.
Merlin has resources in London, New York, North Carolina, the Netherlands, and Tokyo.
The Senior Finance Manager will work closely with the CFO and Head of Finance to manage and oversee all financial aspects of the organisation, including maintaining, developing and implementing processes, systems and strategies for the organisation.
Merlin has experienced remarkable growth since its inception and is growing its Finance Department by hiring an exceptional Senior Finance Manager to maintain and develop the current financial structure, strategically address our growth in the coming years, and handle the increasing complexity of the digital music marketplace and our partnerships.
Position Status, Location, and Reporting
This is a full-time role based in London (Covent Garden offices) and will report into the Head of Finance Shared areas of responsibility.
- Prepare accurate reports in line with the monthly timetable including P&L, Balance sheet extracts for five Group Companies.
- Ad Hoc reports and financial analysis as required
- Multi-currency Sales Invoicing, including monthly Royalties, Advances and Settlements
- Understanding the financial implications of Merlin’s licensing agreements and putting them into practice
- Manage Debtors-Preparation of Monthly Debtors summary including chasing old debts, reconciliations and escalating where needed.
- Checking and posting receipt of funds
- Prepare metrics for paying royalty “breakage” and advances, and assisting with other metrics for Royalty distributions
- Liaise with Business and Legal Affairs, Reporting & Insights, and Member & Partner Success teams to ensure smooth flow of information relating to new projects and existing DSPs
- Handle member and DSP enquiries
- Assist in the development and implementation of software systems to support the organisation’s activities
- UAT of new workflows
- Work with junior team members to support where required
- Prepare financial and budgeting updates and analysis
- Prepare VAT returns (multi-country)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The successful candidate will be an energetic, motivated and proven self-starter, with a demonstrated ability to handle high volumes of multi-currency transactions in a fast-paced environment. Knowledge of self-billing systems and accounting for them would be advantageous. The candidate will be commercially astute, technically strong, and have a proven ability to work at a commercial level. Strong IT skills are essential, as is a proven ability to effectively communicate and lead people and projects.
- Professionally qualified accountant (or able to demonstrate sufficient know how and experience to be treated equivalently)
- Sage X3 (Enterprise), Sage Financials, Sage intelligence model building and updating, including excel and other finance tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with multi currency transactions
- Detail oriented and well organised
- Comfortable prioritising multiple issues/tasks
- Ability to work under pressure
- Previous experience in the music industry is strongly preferred
A competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with the role and the relevant experience of the final hire.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Merlin is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, member companies and partners.
To apply or recommend a qualified candidate, please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] and include “Merlin – Senior Finance Manager 2022” in the subject line.